Written By Nayomi Reghay
Have you ever sucked and tucked yourself into a pair of tummy and thigh squeezing underwear only to find yourself miserably uncomfortablea few hours later? Maybe at first you were satisfied with the effect. But then you go out for what was supposed to be a beautiful evening and you feel it digging into your waist and creeping up your thighs.
You spend most of the night in the bathroom, fussing, readjusting and wishing you were home in your pjs!
Let’s face it, no matter what Kim Kardashian wants you to think, there’s a lot that’s wrong with shapewear.Here are 5 of the worst lies we’re taught about shapewear, and the one truth that will set you free!
1. Shapewear is modern!Nope! Shapewear is basically a corset. You can dress it up in new fabrics, or give it a fancy name, but it’s more old-fashioned than a rotary phone (and by a few centuries!). Telling people shapewear is an exciting new invention is just a marketing trick Don’t be fooled!
2. Shapewear is a “solution” for your “problem” areas!I really hate when people talk about our bodies this way, don’t you?Your body is not a problem to be solved. Have you ever noticed that there’s no shapewear for men? Why not? Because men are allowed to have tummies and beer guts. Their bodies do not have to match some unrealistic ideal. The truth is your body is just as allowable as a man’s. And when you clothe it, you shouldn’t have to feel like you’re “fixing” it.
3. It’s slimming! And the slimmer you look, the better!Most shapewear promises you a slimmer silhouette. But, in reality, when you put on shapewear you tend to create unnatural, stiff lines. Your body can’t move as fluidly so you tend to look a bit like a mannequin, or, worse yet, it digs into you and creates random bulges unless you remember to hold your breath while you wear it.
4. You don’t have to wear it everyday, BUT you definitely need shapewear on special occasions!So often we are taught that when we dress up we really have to go the extra mile. Get a manicure! Get a blowout! Hire someone to do your makeup! While some of these routines can make us look and feel polished, shapewear is really one extra thing we can do without. You can look positively stunning and elegant and you do not need shapewear to do it!
5. It’s empowering! You’ll feel more confident once you put it on!Putting on a piece of shapewear is like pinning a note to your body that lists all the ways you wish it were different—one you get to read every time you go to the bathroom! Fun, right?Shapewear does not improve your confidence because it reminds you of the idea that your body is somehow wrong or unsightly.And that simply isn’t true! Your body is your body, and when you wear a piece of clothing that flatters your shape you find yourself admiring your natural lines, not wishing you could photoshop them away!
THE TRUTH: It’s all about the drape!
The secret to creating gorgeous lines isn’t sucking and tucking yourself in it’s all about the drape!If you’re not a seamstress or a clothing designer, you probably don’t use this word often, unless you’re redecorating your living room! But we’re not talking about curtains, here.Simply put, drape is the way a fabric hangs against your body.
Lighter, stretchier fabrics hang delicately, and are more revealing.
Thicker, heavier fabrics create more tailored and dramatic lines. And a midweight fabric that has the right stretch will show off your body’s natural lines while still creating a consistent shape.
That’s why I love the drape of Clara Sunwoo’s lightweight signaturerayon fiber blend. It’s breathable, soft and luxurious to touch. And best of all, it shows off my shape without making me feel exposed!
When I wear my going out staples like the Signature Jumpsuit or the Signature Palazzo Pant I never eve reach for shapewear!The drape of these items are so beautiful.I love the flowing lines the pant legs make when I walk or dance, and I love that the fabric’s drape still shows the true shape of my body.
I’ll be honest, I believe in loving the skin you’re in, but I’m no queen of body positivity!There are still times when I look in the mirror and think, “Ugh. I wishI could firm up a bit more here or there.” But when I wear items thatdrape so beautifully, I forget about my inner critic! All I see isbeautiful lines that make me appreciate my shape in a whole new way!
It’s an experience I believe every woman should have, no matter your age or size. So next time you’re going somewhere special, why not ditch your shapewear? Slip into something that’s got the right drape and take a look at your natural shape. I bet you’ll love what you see! ♥